View Single Post
Old 2012-09-10, 18:49   Link #1081
Qilin
Romanticist

I recently watched Confessions (2010) or Kokuhaku in Japan, and I hardly have any bad things to say about it. Firstly, the movie draws you in with the surreal ambiance courtesy of the stylistic directing and music. Then, it proceeds to bash you on the head with its scathing critique of Japanese society, as well as that of human nature in general. Finally, if nothing else, the movie is still amusing as a psychological thriller at the end of the day. It's a win-win situation, I believe.

Also, not quite as recently but still relatively recent, I watched Total Recall (2012). I found myself genuinely impressed. I mean, I entered the movie house expecting a generic action flick and... my expectations were actually quite accurate. But still, the movie managed to bring up several interesting themes involving metaphysics and the nature of reality. Not to mention, there were also some juicy bits of relevant social commentary to enjoy. Unfortunately, the movie spent too much of its time on special effects and explosions that it hard had any time to explore these themes in depth.