View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 22:34   Link #34
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You really think that all narrative ideas are completely equal, and that none have more inherent potential than others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
You'll have to elaborate, here. "Potential" to do what? There's no such thing as un-directed potential. And there's the catch, too.
Nah. I think this is simpler than you think.

No, really. Just think about it. Four girls doing anything in highschool vs. a show about executive officers of a government bureau in a dystopian setting. The potential here is indeed relative. Four girls doing cute things in highschool could indeed be the hidden masterpiece of this century, but all evidence leads us to believe otherwise.

No. At the moment, all narrative ideas are not equal. Some ideas are indeed more interesting than others and they are more apt to explain the human condition. A show about people living under a totalitarian system is more interesting intellectually and emotionally simply because it's so rare at the moment.

It doesn't really matter that some shows have an intellectual and some shows an emotional core. A dystopian setting starring adults will offer more ways to understand society and the human condition simply because it's a dystopian setting and it stars adults. Highschool shows, for example, are awfully limited in their attempt to describe the human condition. Of course, the point of highschool shows is not to describe the human condition, but to offer the viewer some basic and easy relationship issues. It is indeed a value judgement to say that my dystopian example does a better job at explaining the human condition, but it's a judgement I'm willing to stand by.

Last edited by zarqu; 2012-10-20 at 22:53.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote