View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 21:00   Link #488
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Chrono's lack of development... he had a perfect moment here, and it was setup well with his backstory and him not crying at the funeral.
I found this moment kind of eyeroll-worthy, actually. I know that some children are much more mature than what one would expect from most kids, but... he's three. A toddler with the presence of mind, discipline, sense of duty and honor, etc not to cry over his mother's death? That's not completely outside the realm of possibility, but it's stretching it... in a different story I would find Chrono's backstory to be as poignant as it was intended, but in the context of the Nanoha series it's just another extra reason for the characters to feel a bit plastic and artificial to me. Apparently in the Nanohaverse, a person's age means absolutely nothing when it comes to one's maturity, skill, or placement in the corporate ladder; rare is the elementary school child that doesn't instantly adapt to the supposed horrors of battle, and even three year olds are fuckin' hardcore and infinitely wise beyond their years.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote