Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-30, 05:27   Link #10182
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
You say the leaks damaged your enemies more than the US, yet you say Assange wants to hurt the US. But doesn't that little fact about Assage's leaks show you that perhaps Assange's purpose isn't to hurt the US but simply put info out there that orthodox media would not?
i said that the leak damaged my enemies worse then it damaged ME
not the US. (again, not american)
the US was clearly the one damaged most by these revelations.

and there is a reason why the "orthodox" media doesn't get classified diplomatic information.
its classified diplomatic information.
I.E, none of our business.
you won't expect a doctor to expose his patients medical records, and you won't expect a lawyer to expose his clients criminal confessions.
somethings have to remain confidential in order to work.

Quote:
While you're correct in saying that other countries will think twice before revealing some personal things like the ones you mentioned in future, the US should also do the same because they did the exact same thing here. The fact of the matter is that this will hurt all sides in diplomatic relations because everyone will be extra careful now. How it will affect the level of trust other countries place on each other (not just trust in the US) depends entirely now how the country wants to be affected. Australia, for instance, openly claimed it did not damage their interests. How other people will consider the leaks will be seen in future.
it will result in very shallow diplomatic discussions in the future, for fear that anything "exciting" you might discuss will find its way to the mass media.
its a severe blow to international diplomacy.