View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 16:43   Link #2069
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I mean it doesn't matter because Ranka can be an interesting, lovable character whether or not her motivations are pure or selfish. The reason people dislike her is because she was written badly, not because of her actions. Any action, with an interesting enough motivation, can make a character better.

Even if Ranka's motivation was pure as the driven snow, I don't think it would stop me from being disappointed in how her character ended up and the lack of empathy she displayed to her home and loved ones as shown by the narrative itself. Pure motivations only matter when the characters are torn because of them. Making Ranka a martyr isn't going to change anyone's opinion of her.
The portrayal of Ranka's character was definitely disappointing but the inferences were still there. The movie certainly did a much better job at portraying Ranka's character and it's a shame they couldn't get it right for the TV series but better late than never.

Well some of us have different views of Ranka's character. I wouldn't necessarily say she's a martyr, I'd rather say she's idealistic.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"