View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 19:42   Link #30029
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I don't know about if a "proper" parallel needs to be drawn for the comparison to work, but I certainly do agree that Beatrice's stories are not at all sophisticated stories once you understand them. I wouldn't call them crap per se, just extremely childish. Just semantics, I know; I guess I don't see a reason to hold Beatrice to standards of good writing.
The problem is we're apparently called to investigate on those stories and many of us were all caught up by them and tried to solve and explain them rationally.
Instead... well, the whole Umineko starts looking like the story of a girl who wanted to catch the attention of a boy so she made up a story about some people they both know who are REALLY in a dangerous situation and asked him to think up a way to help them, then she complains if he doesn't pay her any attention.

Battler really believed that solving the game boards would really help his family while the readers were lead to believe solving the gameboards would lead us to some sort of logic solution or clues to solve Prime.

It turns out that solving the gameboard wasn't the real point as the culprit's motive isn't the one we should figure out, nor Prime matters as there are too few hints to really solve it.

What we were supposed to figure out is that Beato, who can be very well a fragment of Battler's imagination, was trying to catch Battler's attention presenting him an apparent way to save his family that actually is just a fantasy and won't help them at all, in which she's starring as a Mary Sue killer.

Okay, so this is a brutal summary and, if done differently it wouldn't have been so bad as a plot but, presented as it is, it sort of make me feel as if most of Umineko's plot wasn't really necessary.
It's too... rondabout, for a lack of better term.

It's fine in a mystery to trick the reader into thinking that someone is innocent but when you trick the reader into what he has to solve... well, it's not so fun. At least for me.
And it's a pity because Umineko has a lot of good points... but the ones that are bad are also pretty big.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote