View Single Post
Old 2004-01-14, 21:22   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Twin Spica (torrents on AnimeSuki) is decent SF about teens preparing for space travel.

Kiddy Grade is a solid show, more of a superhero theme.

Starship Girl Yamamoto Youko is a neat older show, you can get a torrent for the first ep.

Avenger is set on Mars, it is getting some positive attention from people although I dislike it. Torrents are available for this one too.

If you want great mecha action certainly watch GunBuster! as was mentioned (one of my faves and works as SF too, which is rare). Evangelion is many people's all-time favorites (very high on my list too), and Dual is very good.

As far as something DIFFERENT, I have to recommend Kodomo no Omocha. It was probably the first show I saw that made me enjoy anime as being different from American cartoons (the shows you mentioned having seen were all licensed & dubbed for American TV, partly because they are kind of like other American stuff).

Kodomo no Omocha is funny as hell and is definitely Japanese in its outlook and presentation. It does not rely on adult humor (which you have not seen much of in the shows you mentioned and may not want to see). And you can watch the first 10 episodes or so and see a great story arc and not have to worry about seeing the rest of the series. You can also get torrents at the AnimeSuki site! Ganbare!