View Single Post
Old 2013-07-12, 23:29   Link #409
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's important if you're playing a game. Although honestly you don't need to have the entire mystery solved, you just need to know how each clue interacts with the facts so you can press the "Objection!" button at the right things. Honestly, the key details are often intentionally hidden precisely so they can maintain drama throughout the scene (forcing you to fit the new evidence into what you already know and filling in the details).

Anyway, the point is that an anime doesn't need to make the case solvable. It's simply a different medium. Now, traditionally murder mysteries have always had an obligation to "play fair" with the readers and give them the evidence they need, but the cases in this case are so simple that do so would remove the entire point of being a mystery? It was dumbed down so that the average player could solve it, but if the average viewer can solve it just as easily then it's simply a boring mystery. The solution to that is found in the drama and suspense of the Class Trial itself, which the anime obviously intends to emphasize. This was the same in Phoenix Wright: the investigations were really boring but the trials were funny and dramatic and awesome. People remember "Objection!" more than they do clicking on everything over and over again, don't they?

In short, this is not a game so I'm not expecting it to be exactly like the game. Because if it was it'd be bad.
You're not entirely wrong in that assessment. However, it goes without saying that there's a rather long-running and very popular mystery series that has hundreds of episodes of precedence here. You don't get that by being bad, for starters. Conan isn't that far off from Phoenix Wright or Dangan Ronpa, hence why I included the word "accusation" alongside "trial". The average episode of Detective Conan typically weighed the clues and the accusation as being roughly equal in importance. Generally a mixture of finding some clues, some of which are substantial in importance (and sometimes some of which are inconsequential at first glance), followed by combing through past and live testimonies to find a liar. In fact, from what I've seen that's the typical formula for the majority of Japanese murder mysteries on the anime and video game mediums.

Proposing that the brunt of the mystery should be placed in the trial is a bit strange with that having been said. When a character is searching for clues, the player or the viewers typically is eagerly awaiting every clue and expectation so that they can try to figure out the mystery before it's revealed. Additionally, when a new twist is introduced there then has to be a stall so that the viewer can wrap their head around it and fit it into place. Typically this is done via cliffhangers. The twist is revealed, and then the episode ends.

That having been said, I see no reason why they would choose to disobey that formula and instead elect to hold the trial as the focus of the series, as this is where all the information is gathered and delivered. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve for making this work, I see it going downhill.