View Single Post
Old 2008-05-11, 17:53   Link #104
Wesley84

Why did Alto lie? Because he was at the mall with Sheryl. THE Sheryl. Bad enough Michael was hazing him about it, he didn't want to compound the misunderstandings further with Ranka. He wanted to spare himself the grief of being in a celebrity's shadow.

And need I remind the reason he went to the mall in the first place was because he spotted Ranka getting on the train?

I thought the interview with Sheryl was pretty typical of what you'd get out of any celebrity's interview. The reporters asked her some dumb questions, questions that would have been better asked of a politician or someone knowledgeable, not a celebrity who had a personal attachment to the current crisis. And she answered them like you'd expect a celebrity to answer; inconsiderately.

She shouldn't have take any questions. She should have left it at thanks, maybe make a statement along the lines of only having eachother to depend upon while traveling through space, and that if it was the other way around, Galaxy would have come to Frontier's aid. She didn't need to act indignant and to declare her intention of committing an empty gesture of solidarity.

I think the earring thing was resolved too quickly. Sure, it was inserted in after the pilot episode to give Sheryl a reason to stalk Alto, but it ended up feeling forced, especially when Alto hanged the earring up in his cockpit. That seemed out of character of him, doubly so when he was smiling at the darn thing.

And her admitting to being alone on Galaxy and hating the place, I think that's the sort of thing you admit after you know for sure the place has been trashed. When you have a real reason to cry. Like "I'd always hated living there, but now that it's gone..." That kind of deal.

They're really massaging Ranka's character more than they are Sheryl's. That's what I think. I think this episode proves it, along with adding in the earring thing.