View Single Post
Old 2009-05-02, 09:21   Link #69
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
OK I think that's the thread the most appropriate to ask. I've been kinda wondering about it even in the first few episode, but I was really missing that something in episode 4.

Is the aircrafts (bombers, airships, and fighters) nonexistant in the Valkyria world? I mean if the technology is on about the same level as the real world's 30s, there should have been already quite a lot of aircraft around, but we haven't shown any so far from neither sides (not to mention I doubt Edelweiss is capable of anti-aircraft fire). I would have imagined at least they have some Airships maybe (they were used heavily in the first world war) or some oldschool biplanes.

Anyway I find it weird they don't mention any airsupport in the briefings (both sides again), or the fat guy doesn't consider it in episode 4's fightscene either. (well I was missing how he didn't tried to order some artillery support too, but that's a different matter).

Ps: No I'm not familiar with the game at all, I have no idea if they exist there.
It's mentioned in the Q & A thread, but I'll just briefly answer your question. There are aircraft, but they are very rare and it seems that the focus of technology is on the tank and aircraft (all types) got the short end of the stick. In other words, all money and effort were put into tank (and anti-tank) development and research. So tank technology is actually more along the level of the mid 1940's and aircraft technology is stalled at somewhere at pre-WWI levels.

The Edelweiss was developed after the First Europan War as a prototype that never made it into production. The discussion here has put it as being based on the E-50 Series prototype of late WWII. The series takes place in 1935, so already tank technology is at least 10 to 15 years more advanced in Valkyria Chronicles than in real history.