View Single Post
Old 2013-07-25, 10:24   Link #58
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Thanks so much for all the commentary. I know how long these things take to write.

On Kuroneko: I feel like I overdid it in this drawing with all the colors and use of soft brushes. Too much and it would start to look like those OEL-manga style drawings.
The skin color/bang was something I've been trying doing for a while but could never get it to appear more noticeable. I find it works better when the hair color is a cool color.
On the cat-ears: Yeah I don't know what I was thinking using a ruler for that instead of just drawing it freely. The tail was also surprisingly difficult to get right.

On Gou: Mmm...as someone who got into this business drawing girls from K-On!, its challenging for me to draw women/girls with mature bodies. This is probably the most anatomically stuffed-up thing I've drawn in a while.
I...don't know what the decoration stuff actually is. I haven't even been looking at that much Redjuice stuff recently!

On Kotori/Honoka: I wanted to show that Kotori was stiff with those lines. I probably should've flipped through some manga first.

Thanks for looking through and commenting on everything! I'm very grateful. Also the promise to color something of yours still stands.
Not really, because my comments tend to be long before I realize it

What's an OEL manga? I've never heard of it. I see... a dark color makes sense since it contrasts with skin color. After I look again at Chuunibyou episodes (that's where I first find this kind face/bang coloring), it seems that it works like you said. The shades feel much more apparent on Rikka and Kumin's hair, while Yuuta and Shinka's are subtle. And almost not visible for Dekomori IMO. In your pics, I think you did them right. While they're subtle, I still can see them on Kou's and Kotori's hair

As for the tail, I can see that's difficult indeed. How to give a feel a 3-dimensional feel to it. I'm thinking a horizontal-oriented position.

Nah, don't worry about the mature body of Free! (I don't really like the artstyle anyway) I think the essence of fanarts nowadays isn't about getting as close as possible with the original material, but how to draw them with our style while keeping the aura of the character. <-- very difficult indeed.
I went back and see some Free! episodes. I thought the key for Kou's face is her slanted eyes. Going inward, after passing through the pupils, the upper eyelid lines takes a deep "dive" down. But this isn't really the case as her eyes often not seemed like that (depending on her expressions). Smaller pupils might work too. Oh, redjuice stuffs... I see

I see... it looks like Kotori is about to fall to me. but if I were in your place, I also don't really know how to make proper manga lines, though

You're welcome. It's always nice to see a progress. Also, thanks for the offer. I do hope I can draw something soon to fill this long break, but the mood is just difficult to generate