View Single Post
Old 2008-06-15, 20:32   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I had practically every console up until the PS release. That generation (playstation, dreamcast, N64) was the death of console gaming, to me. When games started focusing too much on graphics (with ridiculous load times) and nowhere near enough on story, longevity, enjoyment and overall 'fun' that Sega and Nintendo had provided with their 8 and 16bit consoles, and other platforms (Atari, Amiga, DOS) had focused on for years.

The state of gaming these days really disappoints me. Pretty much the only games with more than 10 hours of gameplay are (primarily MMO) RPGs, and that's only because of the repetitive grind. Too many companies seem to think gamers have no attention span and don't want long, involved, well written stories, instead just wanting fast paced action. And while there certainly are gamers like that, I don't think they make up the majority.

I will never consider Sony in the picture of gaming at all. I don't care how many people praise the playstation (1 or 2) the ONLY thing they ever did that was notable is open their console to third party developers, which allowed for a bare handful of good games to be made that otherwise wouldn't be. And they're rare gems in a mountain of garbage.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote