View Single Post
Old 2007-11-10, 17:33   Link #603
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

4tran, you made some good points, but I cannot say I totally agree. For one, I believe budget IS an issue. It is true, a 30 minute anime does cost less than a similar American production.

However, to keep things short, Japan does a better job in spending its allocated funds than their American counterparts (but then, thats American corporatism at fault). Although people seem to forget, much of the anime we see these days are really not animated by Japanese studios, except certain feature films that require serious quality work. Most of the animations are done elsewhere, in China or Korea. Moreover, there are far more serious anime companies at work at any given time (thus allowing more effective production) than American cartoon companies, which are often part of a larger studio.

Another thing, most people miss this, but cartoon studios get to do this one thing, re-runs. Yeah, you give em a good budget to make 10 unrelated episodes, slap it on TV, and if the ratings are good, you get money to make more! You are not going to see that happening with stuff like Gundam.

Still, even with the given budget though, Saturday morning cartoons just aren't really that good, and I am not talking about the plague that is Disnified homogenization. It makes you wonder where they spent their money~

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote