Thread: G-Maru Edition
View Single Post
Old 2010-08-30, 00:00   Link #1
Freeter
beyond

G-Maru Edition

The latest series from Mizuki Kawashita (Ichigo 100%, Hatsukoi Limited, Ane Doki), serialized in the quarterly JUMP SQ.19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon (partial edits by me)
A young girl (Kaburagi Aruto) aspiring to become a shoujo mangaka discovers she is fated to become a renowned hentai manga artist (thanks to a time-traveling robot named G-Maru who is also her biggest fan ).
Yes, it's a crazy premise, it's filled to the brim with ecchiness, and is so lowbrow even the most devoted Kawashita fan might turn away in disgust.

Yet I enjoyed what I've read so far. Why, you ask?

Because this is Kawashita unhinged. No longer worrying about rankings or catering to a specific fanbase (*cough*Nishino*cough*), she goes straight for the jugular and doesn't hold back. It's as unapologetic as it is perverted, and that's what makes it such a guilty pleasure.

Obviously drawing inspiration from Kentarou Yabuki (who had two long-running hits and a possible third with Mayoi Neko Overrun!, whereas she had two recent failures), Kawashita completely satirizes ToLoveRu while poking fun at her own works, and possibly herself (perhaps she did aspire to be a shoujo mangaka at one point). The premise also opens up the possibility of parodying other JUMP-related titles, so while I doubt it'll ever be on the same level of wackiness as Gintama, at least it'll be a fun ride while it lasts.

I've always said that Kawashita should veer away from Weekly JUMP and do a seinen work since she'd have more leeway to do things her way, and from what I've seen so far with G-Maru Edition, it seems SQ.19 is letting her do just that. It may not be the heart-wrenching romantic fluff that fans normally expect from her, but it's manic enough to be enjoyable in its own right.

Thoughts, comments, haterade, let it rain. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to more of the Kotegawa-inspired closet yuri freak

Last edited by Freeter; 2011-02-22 at 01:10.