View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 04:34   Link #142
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sadness, or melancholy as I prefer to call it, is something I'm glad to have left behind. Though I maintained a generally cheerful front, perceptive friends could sense the gloomy shades of grey that always seemed to loom around me. It was a difficult time of adjustment from adolescence to adulthood, a reorientation of goals amid a pervading sense of worthlessness, outmatched only by a terrifying fear of being discovered as a fraud.

Not a happy time, though, in comparison with the hardships faced by some people, mine were trivial. It might even have been a normal part of transition. I'm pretty sure many went through something similar, but no one ever really talks about his or her depression, for fear of being alienated or, worse, ridiculed.

The melancholy will pass. In my experience, only the self-indulgent willingly choose to wallow in misery.

====

That aside, I recall Sarah Mclachlan once joking that there was something beautiful about melancholy that kept drawing her towards the mood. Little surprise that I liked quite a number of her songs, to the surprise of a friend who pointed out that her songs were, you know, rather feminist. Heh. Well, I liked the moody British bands of the time too, the likes of U2, Coldplay and Radiohead. So I guess Mclachlan balances them out.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote