View Single Post
Old 2013-08-08, 14:35   Link #2329
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

So, I’m reading the Matsuribayashi-hen VN and decided to flip through the RAWs of the manga to see how some of the awesome scenes the anime skipped were portrayed. As I’m reading along, I noticed a certain familiar face among the Yamainu fighting against the club members on the mountain…I thought it might be a coincidence at first until I realized it wasn’t just his appearance, but his name as well. Remember the Yamainu who goes head-to-head with Satoko, Hibari 13? Yeah, the artist of the manga decided to make this guy a certain bodyguard from Higurashi’s sister series, Umineko…Amakusa Juuza (Juuza = 十三 = 13 in a similar kind of wordplay as Takano’s name).

Considering Amakusa’s past military history included working for the Self-Defense Force and he’s loyal to Okonogi (who is also in Umineko), I thought this was absolutely brilliant of the manga artist and adds some nice - and very plausible - backstory to the character. I couldn’t resist my desire to translate these pages, since the Matsuribayashi-hen scanlation project will probably never be finished, AND the official English releases aren’t even this far yet. This is from Vol. 7 of the manga, during the battle between the club members and the Yamainu on the mountain.

Since I can’t read kanji, the way I’m doing this is to read the furigana and romanize how the sentence is read. Then, I punch those words into Tangorin and find the ones that match the kanji in the panels. Then it’s a combination of Google Translate, my memory of the way the scene played out in the VN, and common sense of the English language to put it all together. So, forgive me if the translation isn’t perfect - I just thought this was an interesting scene that both Higurashi and Umineko fans would appreciate, and wanted to share.

My translation notes can be found here. Let me know if I got anything wrong and I’ll be happy to fix it.

Download Link

Last edited by KanonTheFurniture; 2013-08-08 at 14:54.
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote