View Single Post
Old 2012-02-01, 16:57   Link #823
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
That's an interesting take on Okada's statement. However, I think something like this would be a little too dark for the show; killing off popular characters is never a good thing for a show that comes across as a colourful mecha story with some romance.

I usually like dark stories, but I'd prefer to know if the show is one or not from the get-go. Otherwise, I may end dropping the show.
Character death is usually pretty common in mecha anime so you should always anticipate it from the get go. Also if you're wondering why some shows don't establish a darker tone early on than join the club. As far as my experiences go shows that start off all light hearted and then try to go darker later rarely work well. Either they get darker and more full of drama to late in the run to be able to make a proper use of the arc, get dark so early on that you have to wondee why it wasnt just dark from the get go or get dark at the halfway point such that it looks the show is bipolar. All I can say is that I can't help but hope this trend ends soon enough and we start to see more shows that pick a tone and damn well stick with it or at the very least don't start off so damn goofy that it comes across as laughable when they try to get serious.

Also I can't be the only one that thinks having 3 episodes of fluff before a major revelation sounds like really questionable pacing and storytelling. Then again considering the writer and show in question I can't really say I'm surprised.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote