View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 05:41   Link #41
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I think Rowling will have her place. Sure HP is just for fun, but I don't think we have ever seen, or for a very long while will ever see again book launches getting parties like movie and game launches. The massive hysteria that was behind Harry Potter went well beyond all the other "pulp" in this era, or possibly any era.
That is an argument in Rowling's favour, but on the flip side Stephanie Meyer and Dan Brown had high levels of publicity and fanaticism, and yet both of those are by any accounts poor writers. I don't think popularity alone is enough, though it certainly helps.

As for Rowling, I'm on the fence. I think where she goes from here will have a big effect on whether she becomes a classic. A mark against her is that she's largely read for entertainment rather then artistic reasons. But then, that didn't hold back Sherlock Holmes, did it?
Quote:
On the topic of video games and classics. I think a lot of the major games from a one to a few decades ago will be classics by virtue of basically defining their respective genres.
Probably, though the game also needs to have staying power. For instance, what will become the classic: Dune 2 or Starcraft? In terms of significance Dune 2 started the genre. However starcraft has a lot more staying power, while almost no one plays Dune 2 any more.

Quote:
Also, with that in mind. I wish to nominate Kanon or Kana Imouto for future classic literature. Assuming that the Visual Novel format doesn't die, I think they are games that really defined the utsuge genre. And I think the Visual Novel format won't die, I think it will proliferate in the near future. With tablets and smartphones, people are half expecting their print media to be interactive, and I don't think its too long before "paper" becomes interactive and most every new novel coming out will be of the visual variety.
Can't say for certain, VNs as a whole is held back by it's frequent wish fulfillment and pulpy plots. That said, that's not a hard reason. A lot of more quality VNs are held back because they move in this space, and even though they're well written they can't be understood by a mainstream audience. For instance, a big part of why Higurashi works is due to how it subverts Moe in a gruesome way. A mainstream audience will never really get that aspect of it.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote