View Single Post
Old 2010-01-10, 03:27   Link #854
james0246

Can't say that I really hate these shows, but I was certainly never a fan and I could never understand exactly why they were popular (outside of fanservice excuses):

(I should mention that I am not quite sure how popular some of these titles are, but however popular they are, they are too popular by far ...)

Prince of Tennis (acyually, I am not sure if anyone is a fan of this series anymore)
Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome (for obvious reasons)
Love Hina (the manga is a lot of fun, but the series and ovas are pretty bad)
Elfin Lied (again, not necessarily bad, but a little boring in its delibrate over-the-top story/characters)
Mahou Sensei Negima (another case of a bad tv series based on a good manga)
D. Gray-Man (manga is just barely okay, but the aniem is very boring)
Ninja Scroll (both the movie and the series)
Death Note (I found the pacing to be foolish, and the exposition to be deadly boring (if you have to constantly tell the audience what you are doing, and not adequetly visualize it, then you should just do a radio program instead))
Fushigi Yuugi (sure, I am used to bad female protagonist (i.e. negative role models) in shounen or shoujo series, but the heroine from this series drove me insane. It didn't help how predictable the plot and characters were, nor how silly the action was)
Hayate the Combat Butler! (the manga is kind of cute (even if it is pointless), but unlike the manga, where each chapter can be finished in about 3 minutes, the 20 minutes episodes were annoyingly boring. Sure it has good acting and cute characters, but nothing they said or did was that interesting (you can only hear the same type of otaku jokes so many times before they have no effect anymore, etc))
Fullmetal Alchemist (I really wanted to like this series, but it always felt so incomplete and lacking (it certainly didn't help how pointless the main characters always felt when compared to the larger organization, etc, within the world). The manga and the new series are vastly superior to this title...)

Again, I do not hate these titles. I am indifferent to them, and have never really understood their popularity. But, I do not hate them.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-10 at 03:40.