View Single Post
Old 2007-03-08, 09:10   Link #37
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Thousand dollar question to all computer illiterate here: do you know how where to get the source-code of a (any) video-player, compile it, and get it to work with sounds, video, and subtitles? Knew you wouldn't.
It's pretty much a step-by-step process. o_o I mean, when I started out with Windows, I was pretty clueless, to be honest. I remember deleting program folders without uninstalling, installing every shareware program I could find, and with this kind of attitude I would break the system numerous times. But now, I believe there was no other way for me to learn, and to eventually get the job done, except by reading manuals. And I simply didn't do that when I was starting out with Windows.

When I started satisfying my curiosity with Linux distros, I quickly figured out just how useful Google and README files really are. "RTFM" suddenly made sense to me, and that's how I managed to compile that mplayer from SVN, even though I was a Windows-only user just a day before that.

Anyway, what "computer-illiterate" really means is "not willing to read the manual".
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote