View Single Post
Old 2007-08-29, 12:52   Link #68
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Excellent points. I've heard that Lee only learned the first form and maybe part of the second -- could very well be wrong, though. And he's not around to tell us.

Disagree. There are two schools of thought (three if you count mixed-martial arts):
- "All fights go to the ground -- learn how to fight there."
- "All fights start standing -- keep them there."
- "Be prepared to fight standing or on the ground. (Note that if you train both equally, you will excel at neither -- which is a conveniently forgotten fact.)"

I already said this before in the thread -- I would avoid the ground at all costs in a fight. When you're standing, you can still run away.

No style teaches you how to take a chair shot except for WWF-style, if you smell what the Rock is cooking.

And no teacher worth anything will train you to counter "Eagle Dives to Pick Plum Blossom" with "Phoenix Ascends to the Heavens" or any such thing.

If there's a punch coming at your head -- any punch -- you have to either:
  • Block it
  • Parry it
  • Avoid it
  • Get socked in the face

Martial arts drills will train your body to instinctively do one of them. If you learn no style, or do not drill, you'll take too much time considering what to do, and end up getting socked in the face. That's really all martial arts are.
that's the thing we really don't know how much wing chun he learned and we probably won't ever know since it completely depends on the person you want to believe. I tend to believe Leung's version the most since he was the one that actually trained Bruce Lee, but he never states exactly how much Lee learned, except that he did some of the Dummy forms. It should be noted though that Bruce Lee's first martial art was Tai Chi, which was learned from his father. Bruce Lee did actually box and won 4 fights I believe in the boxing ring. so Lee already new a few styles before he even began coming up with the concept of Jeet Kune Do.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote