View Single Post
Old 2009-11-09, 08:56   Link #214
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki101 View Post
Ah, so that's where our definitions differ. My definition of impossible is restricted to things that can not happen. Take, for example, quantum tunneling. We know that it exists physically, there have been experiments done that show that a caged particle has a non-zero probability of appearing outside the corral, and it has happened. Scaled up, if I were to push against a wall, you, by your definition of impossible would say that it's impossible for me to spontaneously fall through the wall, whereas I would say that it is improbable that I would fall through the wall, but it's impossible for the wall to exert more force on me than I do on the wall (by Newton's third law). If some thing is physically possible, then by definition it is not impossible, regardless of how improbable it is.
But no matter how many times you push against a wall, you as a person will not spontaneously fall through. One of the things about quantum is that while you can find minute (and I mean minute) differences, it always averages to what is expected. That's why you can use standard non-quantum equations for matters like chemistry and and physics.

As one chemist put it to me, "Quantum mechanics are perhaps the most revolutionary conceptual breakthrough for chemistry in living history. What does that mean for you? Not a thing."

Theoretical possibility and practical possibility are two different things. One isn't concerned with how to make something happen, for one thing.

I should also note that I was making an (unclear) distinction between physical impossibilities (which falls under using magnetic fields for a whip) and practical impossibilites (the 0 chance things).
Quote:
More on topic, theoretically, Misaka could be using micro-scale eddy currents in each iron sand particle and controlling each particle of sand individually. I don't know, it's all theoretical. But the point is, she MUST use electricity to move the sand, due to the logic that:
See, when you try to justify it on that scale, you're actually hurting your case because of the magnitudes of calculations that would have to be done if she did it that way. One cup of sand has approximately 7692307.69 grains. Just one cup, and you already have to track and calculate 7 digits worth currents, field vectors, and currents to manage in real-time against any number of outside effects. Forget drugged up brain, a supercomputer would get stalled trying to do anything with that, let alone a lone person who can't even see the supermajority of the grains she's supposed to track.

And that's one cup. She uses far, far more than one cup of iron sand.

We know it can't be done that way because the means are far beyond her.

Quote:
2) it is generally accepted in-universe that there's only one power per person
That's what they like to pretend, but Index is replete with required secondary powers, and Misaka is no exception.

Let's take what you said above, for example: Misaka's one power is electrokineses. She can conjure or manipulate high amounts of electricty.

If her power is electrokineses, then any power to effect magnetic fields is an indirect effect, dependant on her ability to channel/direction electricity from herself. Which, as I posted about above, is a very poor/impossible way to make magnetic fields with iron sand. She would not have electro-magnetic-field-kineses.

If her one power is electrokineses, then she would also be rather ineffective on basis of not being able to detect/measure it; electro-sensory is distinct from electro-kineseis, and without being able to sense electricity/magnetic fields she wouldn't be able to control them at any level.

Then there's lightning immunity; being able to manipulate/channel electricity does not imply you become something other than a burnt stick if you call down lightning on yourself. Every time she fires electricity from herself/calls it down on her, she's serving as the fastest route to ground.

Her railgun also bears mentioning: Newton's Third Law (equal but opposite reactions) really does say that firing a coin from her hand should, if not toss her dozens of feet back, should crush her arm every time she fires.

So besides electro-kinesis, Misaka would be required to

-Sense electric fields
-Direct magnetic-field-manipulation
-Sense magnetic fields
-100% Lightning immunity
-Immunity to Newton's Third Law
-Micro-level precision of both detection and manipulation
-Macro-level calculative abilities far, far in excess of today's supercomputers

But I think I'll agree with you instead, that Misaka only has one power.

Quote:
3) she can move the iron sand
Doesn't require electricity, really.

Quote:

Therefore: she is using electricity to move the iron sand.
No, she's moving it through Schrodinger's Cat. Electricity is the mental placebo, since she wouldn't be able to physically, computationally, or precisly, with electricity alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
that makes touma a level 6...
No, Touma's a level 0. His power is highly limited, simply by the fact that it is restrained to his hand and only does one thing.

When I say limitless, I mean limitless. No restrictions, no caveats, nada. You can do Schrodinger's Cat without the box. You can can make, say, a mountain of anything appear in mid-air, and then dispell it the next. You could dispel anything or anyone you wanted, or change them however to fit your perception of reality.

Touma? Touma can't even dismiss his own power, and it's only good against other people's powers. All you need to beat Touma is a gun.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote