Thread: Licensed Legend of Galactic Heroes
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-15, 13:48   Link #209
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
is this good ? sorry for the off topic.
Yes, LoGH is a pretty good show - almost regardless of one's personal preferences. That said, how much (and how) one enjoys it can come down to familiarity with history and politics. Also, contrary to what you may have heard, Legend of Galactic Heroes isn't really all that realistic - for example, one of the main combat tactics is for heavy infantry to don armor and attack using halberds or axes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
How would you compare it to say...Code Geass?
I'd say that LoGH is quite a bit better than Code Geass, but there really isn't a whole lot of basis for comparison other than the fact that they both talk about politics. LoGH doesn't have any magical battles, and it doesn't have quite as convoluted plot, but it also lacks strongly characterized female characters as well. They do both have a fair bit of plot-convenient contrivances though.

I guess it depends on what you like and dislike about Code Geass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Ah, Twelve Kingdoms kind of dealy eh? Pity.
The Twelve Kingdoms novels are (slowly) being released in North America, but the LoGH novels aren't, so it's harder to come across a translated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
It is somewhat comparable to the 12 Kingdoms in terms of scope. LoGH will also challenge our concepts of existing political systems, and despite this novel being written some 20 years prior, it sometimes sound like a dead-on criticism of today's world.
In terms of comparison, LoGH is probably most similar to the Romance of Three Kingdoms, in terms of anime, there really isn't anything particularly similar, but Crest of the Stars does cover the same kind of territory.

I admit to not being particularly impressed with the way Legend of Galactic Heroes comments on different political systems. The way the arguments for them are presented doesn't really do the subject justice.