View Single Post
Old 2012-04-10, 01:39   Link #11
teja208
Critical fanboy

Even though I haven’t read all the novels, but I can see why novel readers complain about 26 episodes won’t be sufficient to cover all necessary parts of the material and more than willing to wait longer in order to get more than two-cours to cover six books. However, I can imagine far worse scenarios if other studios are responsible for the adaptation of Monogatari novels. I believe this will be the least of their worries.

Let's see. KyoAni is quite faithful to the sources, but works like a turtle. Every two novels for 3-5 years at least. Poor FMP fans.

JC staff employed what I would called “do or don't” strategy. They will start of by being loyal to the novel first (Shana 1, Index) to hook up the novel readers and play it safe. When they successfully hook up a solid novel fanbase, they move on to fanservice fillers (Shana 2, Railgun) to attract other type of fans. That's their do or don't strategy.

AIC isn't good either when it comes to adaptation. Look at how AIC ASTA mess up the ending of Sora no Otoshimono 2 and the following movie. In Amagami SS they leave a certain heroine friendzone to have her ending in Amagami Plus. For AIC Build, Ore Imo and Haganai has them left out all the first-person monologue. They think cutting out monologues will not hurt the series so you can picture how they would adapt Monogatari series.

Oh, and don't let me remind you what if Xebec gets it. *shivers*

Look, I'm not saying that Shaft is the best animation studio out there. They have their own flaws and sometime their art style upsets some people, but at least IMO, they are the best among to worse of studios when it comes to adapting novels and I think it's much safer to leave Monogatari anime with them compare to other studios. Shaft is both fast and loyal if a series is well recieved it is almost guarantee a second or third season from them.

I know that novel readers will likely find it disappointing if some parts of novels they like to see failed to get into anime, they have all the right to complain when that time comes, but keep in mind that if what is seen in anime is the exact copy of the novel, people would just watch the anime rather than interested in picking up the novel to see what else is there. I.e. there will be no new novel fans. So it is up to those who have read the novels to clarify what aspects of the novels was left out or lost in the adaptation and try converting non-novel readers to become novel readers. Involvement in fan translations of the novel is also a way to help the novels more accessible to the fans like what happened with Haruhi novels.

For me, I’m ok with Shaft’s 26 episodes adaptation plan as far as things goes. It may not be perfect, but I think the best that we can afford for future of Monogatari franchise or would you like to have it only 13 episode for who knows how many novels + fillers adapt by other studio? At least they made it clear enough they intended to adapt all six books given they didn't lie about it. Hopefully, they will keep their promise.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote