View Single Post
Old 2009-02-03, 06:12   Link #46
wontaek

I believe definition of evil is something very related to the depiction of evil. What the anime producer think is evil will have big influence in how some scenes will be made. Also importance is coping with evil; when is something a 'necessary evil', and when does that cross into 'evil you must sacrifice your life in attempt to defeat it?' Everyone will probably have different ideas about this, thus there's bound to be different treatment in each anime series. What interest me just as case by case examination of different series or even episodes, is whether there exist a discernable trend between entertainment genre as well as society; is evil given different outlook in Japanese drama compared to anime, or does Korean or Chinese manhua/manwha tend to shows different philosophical take on this question compared to Japanese manga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not to make too fine a point of it, but please don't lump all of Christianity in this very ill-bred kind of behavior. You can say that's one church (or several) or some individuals' position, but not the whole of it's believers - or worse, the fate itself. It's tantamount to saying all muslims believe in strapping bombs on and blowing buildings up - or that the Quran advocates such. Both affirmations are not true.
Generalization is your enemy. And another kind of evil.
There exist a large difference in level of tolerance in different Christian Church. I agree with the statement " Generalization is your enemy. And another kind of evil. " However, due to its history and contents in the Bible, there exist certain trend in the Christian Church which likely have affected how you and I think of good and evil.

Someone mentioned capitalism as evil. This is something that also intrigues me in many level, and also something that gets much discussion within anime. The biggest question of them all is when does "the need of the many outweigh the need of the few" must be crossed into "the need of the few outweigh the need of the many". In many Japanese anime, the one who answers never to the above question often is the evil-doer. This is something likely to be found in Western media as well, but I believe there exist a visible difference in the tipping point. In Japan, extreme condition is needed to achieve the tipping point, and often the evil-enforcer of the good of many is given symphatetic treatment. Korea, its neighbor, in its manhwa often had its tipping point closer to the need of the few where mere existence of question about effectiveness of certain policy/act for the good of many is good enough to give need of the few a equal footing. This may be is due to the fact that Manhwa in Korea was, and still is something that is frowned upon by the majority of the society, thus more likely to be in accords with the disinherited political left, while in Japan, manga often receives support of even the political right wing.