View Single Post
Old 2011-03-20, 15:57   Link #261
Chron

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikou View Post
Everyone did miss the point, everyone was supposed to miss the point - in the beginning. Ryukishi set up us as detectives trying to combat the evil witch and solve the murder. He set us up with that line of thinking, so that he could show us how it is wrong in later episodes.

Later on, you are supposed to realize that there is no evil witch to combat, just a sad, mentally deranged girl, and that cruelly seeking the truth regardless of its consequences is actually not a good thing.

So if you're still trying to find the culprit, then you have missed the point of Umineko entirely. It's not about blaming someone, it's about understanding someone.
Here's your problem:

Why should we give a damn? No, really. Why should we? Most of us hate Ange, who was supposed to be the vehicle for understanding "Ryuukishi's true point". Doesn't that indicate to you just how much Ryuukishi failed to deliver his own message? I've personally experienced a lot of loss in my life, I've had my share of tragedies, and they impacted my life rather negatively, and I know I'm not the only one who's read this story that has had such an experience.

I look on Ange with contempt, because I see her for what she is: A badly written sob story that's clearly designed to provoke feelings of remorse/sadness/bullcrap/craving for McDonald's(a la Pizza Hut). Ryuukishi spent four years trying to set up his readers to "learn how to let things go"...No shit.

That's his message. Something that shallow. Something so obvious, that he had to shoehorn in a completely unsympathetic character into an otherwise good story in order to preach his moral truth as if it were some amazing revelation.

Well it's not. Those that don't it already will get it wrong, and those that do need it already know it, so it doesn't help them. And besides, Anno did it better back in the Nineties. Honestly, no matter what you hold Umineko up for, the fact is that someone else did it better already. You can say that's not fair to Ryuukishi, well...That's too damn bad. He lead people on a wild goose chase, so his work deserves it's time under the microscope. He doesn't get a free pass.

Quote:
How could I possibly prove that to you, and why do you care?

You insinuate that I am a mindless Ryukishi who would worship Umineko regardless of its actual content? I say that I would not; there were many things about Umineko which I did not like (the beginning of EP2, the magic battles in EP3, the love trial in EP6).

But if you demand proof that I actually have a brain, well... I cannot prove that to you, I'm sorry. Feel free to ignore me if you find my opinions so worthless.
You're claiming their opinion is invalid on the basis of their own shortsightedness, and criticizing "[their] inability to get the point." Jan-Poo gets the point. We just happen to think the point was stupid for all the buildup Ryuukishi put into it.

Brevity is king. And Ryuukishi spent four years saying nothing of any real worth in his story. That would be all fine and good if this were just a fantasy story, but Ryuukishi is using it as a soapbox, and frankly his message is deeply underwhelming.

The author is dead is apt in this case, as we readers assign more worth in the characters and world Ryuukishi built than the man himself put into it.
Quote:
Well, don't forgive, then. Just move on. There are more important things in life than finding blame.
No shit.
Chron is offline   Reply With Quote