View Single Post
Old 2008-02-06, 12:41   Link #27
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Sorry, but i don't see how understanding The Messagetm of a show and actually liking said show are two mutually connected things. I can't even stress on how many levels such a point doesn't make sense to me. If anything your claim comes off as somewhat arrogant to me. There is no such thing as automatic enjoyment of a series as soon as you obtain enlightenment about the message of a show. The two are completely different things. And Elfen Lied, while being a show i enjoyed greatly, is no exception to this. It isn't "just special" in the way you want to make it out to be. "Getting" something is a process of perception and analysis of what was presented. "Liking" what was presented is something completely else, influenced by many things that don't even have to be tied to some universal logic necessarily.
Perhaps I didn't say it clearly in the first post, so I retract the comment about liking. I already said that you can perceive it differently, and that's fine, but if you do, then that's not The Messagetm now, is it? I'm not claiming anything, but rather, to summarize, my point was about being affected by it in some way. As hesitant as I am to compare this anime to School Days, it provides a perfect example to what I mean. Do I like School Days? Not really. Do I get the message? Yes. In fact, I think everyone got it, but it was a much less obscure message. Everyone who watched School Days that I talked to were affected by it.

And of course, everyone is a useless term because it's inaccurate. Let us assume that everyone = almost everyone to the point where its difference is insignificantly minimal.

If I get a reply along the lines of "not everyone will like an anime even if they understood it," then I will give up this discussion because I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt and say that I can't articulate my thoughts into words on this subject.