View Single Post
Old 2012-05-23, 18:27   Link #5782
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I am no animal trainer, but I once heard that if right after your pets stains the floor you put its nose so he can smell it for several minutes while you lecture it pointing to where he should be doing it, sooner or later he will get it.
No, do not do this.
It will not work and may only make the cat agressive, or reclusive. The cat does not know it did something wrong, so punishing it will not make it regret it's 'sins'. Cats aren't that smart. It will not be able to understand the connection.
If you can catch it in the act however, it might be a good idea to chase it away. Maybe use a water pistol, if your cat hates water. That way it does not directly connect the bad experience to you.

When our two male cats did this, my father used some strong smelling chemicals, to nullify the markings. The cats never used the spots again after that (otherwise they will mark it again and again, to keep it fresh).
I think he used dissolved ammoniac (he's a chemist, so maybe he used some more advanced stuff too, I'm not sure ).
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote