View Single Post
Old 2008-01-27, 05:20   Link #27
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMageZeratuL View Post
ArabianSwan's reply was right on the mark: we are doing this SO FANS CAN ENJOY IT, making it harder for "other groups to steal it" is going against that very principle. And, as it has been pointed out, it seems rather hypocritical for anyone to claim any rights over fansubs, when you didn't even have the rights to MAKE them in the first place.

For clarification, it's not just the video/audio distribution that is a violation of copyright - the very act of publishing unofficial subtitles, even as standalone files, is against the Berne Convention.

That said, I don't think that fansubbing is unethical - unless you try to claim more rights over the fansubs than you ever had in the first place.

As for OGM, remember that OGM is a hack to have an entire AVI inside an Ogg file. I'm not sure if it handles softsubs in the Ogg or AVI part. AVI can also handle softsubs, by the way. The problem with softsubs with AVI and OGM is the same - no font attachment support. You either give the user fontpacks and make them install it or use system fonts.

Unfortunately, while the SSA/ASS standards support attached fonts, VSFilter can't read them.
But you're right, the script stealing argument is dead, let's stop that.

Softsub with attached fonts works in AVI, I have a file right here that's encoded like that. It actually plays more consistently on Windows than most .mkv and .mp4 files I know. (Of course you need to hax0r it with a shell script to play it on lunix and Mac) ^^;

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote