View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 10:54   Link #2724
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Even then, that's pushing the so-called respect a little too far. Everyone, including myself in 30-35 years time, will have to be reminded on how outdated I am and the only thing the old should do is to prepare themselves for this fateful day.
I'm trying hard not to take offense at comments like this. Apparently sexism and racism are unacceptable notions, but not ageism?

At 63, I don't consider myself "outdated" at all. I'm more technologically savvy than 90%+ of Americans, and I pay close attention to political and social trends on a daily basis. I even watch anime, for goodness sake.

I suppose when I was in my twenties I might have had thoughts similar to yours, though at the time I had academic colleagues in their fifties and sixties who were still sharp-minded and intriguing. I do have some negative opinions about modern culture, particularly its emphasis on greed and violence, but those opinions are not a result of my age so much as my experience. The world of contemporary popular culture, particularly the culture that is expressed in mainstream Hollywood movies, is a narrow and impoverished one indeed.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote