View Single Post
Old 2011-03-03, 13:30   Link #33
ruurguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Well... I dont give a damn even if it's a necessary evil. History proves time and again how the necessary evil are just evil, plain and simple. As recent as 20th century (and even now), people believed that war over resources is a necessary evil. Oil, minerals, metals, you name it. But breakthroughs in science render many of those conflicts unnecessary. Clean energy replaces fuel. Resilient, carefully gene-engineered crops can be planted in harsh lands. New medicines save those who otherwise would have opted for euthanasia. So I dont believe that girls must be sacrificed for the universe's continuing existence. If anything, the mechanism of the universe must be analyzed so that a win-win solution can be obtained; instead of listening to some dubious creepy little fucker who has been caught by tails again and again.
Sure, that is pretty much the point this series is going towards I think.

Also, just to deconstruct your argument a bit: Clean energy, gene engineered crops, new medicines. So how did we get power and electricity to make new molecules and do this research? At one time it almost certainly came from fossil fuels. Fuels you (as in your country or whomever is funding your research) probably fought over or traded for or something. What if you discover 20 years down the line that your carefully engineered crops are poisoning people and making them sick, BUT it is the only food source left in the world. Would you continue eating/making them? Or would you just die? There's a whole bunch of other arguments I'm sure, and I'm aware of how flimsy and hypothetical mine are as well. I'm just saying things really shouldn't be that clean and neat.
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote