View Single Post
Old 2008-07-27, 20:27   Link #1132
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The problem I have is with those who take advantage of other people using religion as a tool.
This is a pitiful condition that will continue on in society for as long as society exists. Because too many people have too many open, unchecked & out-of-context interpretations of religion. Christians are guilty of this crime - as much as anyone else is. Which is why I'm wary of quoting throwing Bible verses around & am for proper exegesis of any religious text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Why don't you read the thread and realize we were talking about the Old Testament? Or is it less Christian? Why don't you take it off your Bible then?
I believe what monstert is trying to say is that: while we debate & argue over the exactness in interpretation & purpose of particular Old Testament passages, his response includes Jesus Christ's teachings because He is the ideal to how Christians should live their lives.

After all, reading both the Old & New Testaments should allow one to see the whole Bible in context: the Old Testament points towards the coming of the Messiah/ Saviour & the New Testament describes His coming. Feel free to disagree with me on this point because, again, many people have different thoughts on continuity.

He is also probably trying to refer to a passage in the Gospel of Matthew where Jesus talks to His disciples on wars & rumours of wars in the future - which would be an attempt to answer the (yet unresolved) question of whether modern warfare is divinely-ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
The bible was not written by Jesus himself but by his followers so who knows what crap that could've put in there. We don't know what kind of people they are and how they've been brought up. Who knows if the bible is written by those people even. All of this can be a big illusion. Back then and up to this day, how true or false can the bible be ?
They were teachers, prophets, kings, chroniclers or history, men of the Jewish law & people who, at the basic level, were convinced something worthy needed to be recorded for posterity. Only the New Testament was written by His followers; the Old Testament was written much earlier by people who had a relationship with God, but who did not know Jesus personally.
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote