View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 20:04   Link #100
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
So here's where I stand.

That being said, this anime has glaring flaws. Or rather, CRUSHING a well-written side story into 1 episode has glaring flaws. I mean, the episode itself has everything it needs in it to tell an episodic story, but there's absolutely no oomph to it that it desperately needed to properly deliver that emotional blow at the end. And that comes with proper pacing.

Like last week's Diabel, I harbored no feelings (not even a twinge of one) for the loss of the Black Cats. Even with Sachi's message at the end. There was simply no time to get attached to them. At all. Also, as an anime-only viewer I'd be wondering if Cline and his crew had just committed mass murder to that other guild, or even how they managed to beat them to begin with.
Hmm.

Finally got to watch the full episode.
The highlighted quotes pretty much sums up my concerns.
There is simply not enough time to for viewers to feel for Sachi, let alone the rest of the guild. To be honest I actually feel more impact when Cline when he was literally begging Kirito to live on than the rest of the episode, ... eh, maybe a little bit too at Sachi's "Thank you" at the end. I'll give them credit for successfully portraying the game world in a dark and serious tone.

That little bit about Cline vs the other guild kinda bothers me a little... the anime makes it as if his guild wiped out the other (when they would never go to that extreme) This is gonna fuel a lot of confusion from anime-only viewers

That being said, aside from the somewhat forced attachment and that one little detail, they did a decent job at covering the essentials. So I'll enjoy what I'm offered.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote