View Single Post
Old 2006-06-14, 06:34   Link #34
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
The Nintendo 64 was more powerful than the PSX. The Sega Saturn had a little edge, too.
Both the GameCube and the XBox were more powerful than the PS2.
It's a bit complicated for that generation. The N64 cuuld not push as many polygons as the PSX, but it could render them much better. The N64 never had the "twitching polygon" problem of the PSX, and the N64 also had anti-aliasing, and could push much more impressive effects. However, it's while its cart based format allowed for larger areas to be rendered all at once (hence HUGE levels not broken up into smaller sections due to system limitations) and nil load times, that format also had limited space, meaning less room for texture maps and FMV (which was popular at the time).

The Sega Saturn was a power house of a console, it was an affordable NeoGeo and then some. However, it had a complicated architecture that made developing a pain, and it could not do 3D quite as well as the PSX, as seen in more limited effects such as transparencies and whatnot. Still, as far as 2D games (which were now a finely crafted art, while 3D games were in their awkward, ungainly infancy), the Saturn beat the PSX hands down. Capcom, SNK, and many other developers who still focused on 2D games gave the Saturn their all...but sales were still dissapointing, because people wanted 3D games.

As for how Sega treated their developers? I'm not entirely certain. So many other things were working against Sega, they weren't hurting for support right away, they lost support as time went on, as the PSX pulled so far ahead, become the most owned console of the generation. Even then, developers still made 2D games for the system that destroyed anything of their kind on the PSX...but it's like I said, nobody cared. The age of 3D was here. A shame, really.

Quote:
im thinking is the high launch price just a bluff?

if they sold it for 400$ after stating all this time it is worth 600$, i could see a lot of people picking it up.

but yea, over 300$ is kind of silly. you can get nice computer for 800$.
I'm reminded of an out of town friend who was visiting while E3 was going on. All week he kept saying, "They're not going to call it the Wii. Just you wait and see, they'll come out at E3 and say 'we were kidding' and announce the real name!" He honestly believed that.

I suggest you do as my friend was forced to do, come to grips with it. The PS3 will be $600.