View Single Post
Old 2009-01-22, 18:23   Link #68
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
That was what murdered Alto/Ranka for me. If Alto loves Ranka, why is he jovially talking to Luca about how they'll (as a group) bring her back eventually? Why is he perfectly content playing house with Sheryl an episode after Ozma left him behind? Why can he calmly discuss killing her for the sake of other people? Why weren't his parting words to Sheryl "I'll come back with Ranka" instead of a quiet "I'll come back"?

I would never argue that Alto doesn't care about Ranka, but the truth of the matter is that when faced with the uncertain death of both girls--whether by putting herself into danger, or dying of an illness--he makes the choice between them with an ease that borders on frightening, and shows very little sign of outward regret. And this is after Ranka cried and confessed her feelings for him.

Even in the last episode, it's not his overwhelming feelings of love that open a channel to talk to Ranka, it's Sheryl's last earring--the promise between him and her that they will survive this battle and meet once again.

I'm not naive enough to say that "love is more important than anything else", but if I was Alto and the girl (or in my case, it'd be guy) I loved left me and was going directly into the heart of alien territory, even if I felt like I had to stay behind with the ship out of obligation, I would be crawling the goddamn walls. My mind wouldn't leave that person for a second. I'd be frantic with worry, not talking like all we have to do is swing by and pick them up when we got there, or playing house with some other person.

The mere fact that he's totally comfortable doing those things while Ranka is in grave danger killed any chance their relationship ever had.
I see, you seem very passionate about what you say. Ok the way I see it, Alto is torn between 2 friends. This is really hard for Alto and he shows this when Ozma asks him what his wings are for, he screams in agony. Alto is torn between keeping his promise to stay by Sheryl's side until she dies or going to save Ranka but Alto knows better. This is where we see Alto show how he's developed because he simply doesn't go, not just because of his promise to Sheryl, but to protect everyone on Frontier and not just Ranka like he had been doing since the beginning, hence Alto's conversation with Klan Klan. Also, Sheryl's death wasn't uncertain, it was a given. She was going to die and there was nothing that could be done.

That is the reason he doesn't rush out there and save Ranka, because he wouldn't abandon the women and children of Frontier and on top of that abandon a dying friend. That's what reassured me of his feelings, he was having a hard time deciding and if he's struggling with himself that much then Ranka must have some type of importance to him. Both girls have an importance to him, but like I said I can't dismiss a possible relationship between Alto and Ranka, just like Alto and Sheryl can't be dismissed.