View Single Post
Old 2011-05-10, 13:48   Link #1117
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
It's not that it's static or completely lacking in drama. It's a matter of emphasis (which makes for a horribly subjective definition, but thus are all genre definitions ).

K-on and Aria both have change in them. Seasons come and go, people graduate and get older, get promoted, and retire, etc. The emphasis, however, is on the passing of time and the mono no aware, rather than the drama or suspense of specific events or changes in the characters themselves.
As it pertains to K-On, I'd have to disagree with that.

Spoiler for K-On spoilers:

Yes, there is a sense of the passing of time in K-On, but I think we'll probably get a sense of that in Hana-Saku Iroha as well as it gradually progresses. I suspect, for example, that by or near the end of this anime, we'll see Ohana start to reflect on her time at the Inn, and what it means to her. In so doing, there would be a sense of the passing of time in this anime.

Quote:
In Clannad After Story, for contrast, (putting the last epsiode aside for a moment), you have changes that happen in many people's lives (loved ones dying, having children, geting married, etc.), but these events are working as part of one continuous narrative, and the emphasis is on the drama of the events and the changes in characters.
I simply and respectfully think that you're raising a false dichotomy here between slice of life and drama. I don't see any reason why anime can't belong to both genres at the same time. I would argue that Clannad: After Story is an anime that does belong to both genres at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Exactly. In fact, you can't get much more generic when disucssing art than trying to define genre.
Moving the slice of life discussion over to this thread was definitely the right thing to do, imo. Kudos to the mods for that.