View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 14:30   Link #68
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
This topic is...kinda about comparing yuri to BL, so...
That doesn't mean it makes sense. They're totally different creatures, so I don't think you can draw any useful comparison.

Quote:
Yuri's audience isn't as clear cut as you're making it out to be. Most yuri magazines I'm aware of are aiming for a dual readership--it's the only way to stay afloat. (I've lost track of how many times Yuri-Hime or whatever it's called now has been canceled)
It was canceled once, and the audience for some of these magazines isn't that unclear either.

Quote:
Also, I was speaking in generalized terms. When you see a lesbian in a male-oriented show--regardless of whether that show is "yuri" or not--chances are that their lesbianism is a tool used to titillate the male audience. (Conversely, a male homosexual is often used for pure comic relief)
But I don't see the point of discussing those series. If we're talking about yuri and BL, then let's talk about that, not about any series with some yuri or BL content.

Quote:
In pure yuri, like Simoun, where the cast is focused on female relationships in general, you're more likely to get something other than "The Lesbian" syndrome, but how often do we really get "pure yuri" series
Actual yuri in anime... never gonna happen

Quote:
Manga tends to be a bit wider in what it shows. If we're going by manga, then we do have several series that go beyond "catholic schoolgirl lesbians" to things like lesbian idols, ect, ect. But I still don't see the same breadth that I do in BL--where I can read about gay diplomats or lawyers or soldiers or aliens or angels or knights or...I'm sure you get the picture. But I guess that might be the limitations of culture in terms of careers for women. It's just, you know, even lesbian OLs might be nice--aside from lesbian-oriented 4koma.
There are Yuri Hime one-shots about OLs. Sadly, most are only that, one-shots.

Quote:
You misunderstand. I'm talking about series like Rika'tte Kanji. I'm well aware that there are lesbian mangaka working for things like Yuri-Hime, ect.
Ah, sorry then. I do need to read Rika'tte Kanji. And yeah, this kind of manga (like Plica or Honey and Honey) are pretty rare. I love Plica btw, it's damn funny.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-02-15 at 14:52.