View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 01:57   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The seiyuu magazine Seiyuu Grand Prix is featuring seiyuus from this show in its December issue:

(left, l-r) Touyama Nao (Kanon), Taketatsu Ayana (Ayumi), Itou Kanae (Elcea), Yuuki Aoi (Mio).

Touyama-san is the newbie. This and Tiger in Star Driver are her first roles. She's a new seiyuu, working for the big Arts Vision agency. Age unknown.

Aya-nyan (21) is Azusa in K-On, Kirino in OreImo, etc. (see my sig, below)
Kanae-chan (23) is Amu in Shugo Chara, Fumino in Mayoi Neko, etc., etc.
Ao-chan (18) is Murasaki in Kurenai, Korone in Dai Maou, etc., etc.

Talents aside, these are among the shortest seiyuu: according to their agencies, Yuuki Aoi is 145cm (4ft 9.1in); Itou Kanae is 147cm (4ft 9.8in); and Taketatsu Ayana is 149cm (4ft 10.6in).

applejuice makes the point that Ao-chan's voice varies as Mio, and says that's a downside of versatility. That's a valid, professional point of view, and I hear what he's referring to. But for my personal enjoyment I think Ao-chan's voice, here and elsewhere, is so thrilling that I can forgive a little variation. To me, she conveys the character's feelings with intensity and verve at each instant, even if the surface characteristics of the voice may vary a bit. I'm with risingstar3110 in finding that she makes Mio quite adorable. She gives her real presence.

I hope Ao-chan gains more control, and loses those moments (not in this show) when her voice drops out entirely. But I would regret her losing the intensity that I find unique about her voice. For the most incredible variation, and effectiveness in both registers, check out the low and masculine and high and puppyishly cute voices that are the two sides of her character in Hyakka Ryouran (eps 1 and 6 are good examples, especially the latter).

She is hilarious on the Hyakka Ryouran radio show, riffing away unrestrained with voices and sounds. Kotobuki Minako is good there, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-11-09 at 14:29.