View Single Post
Old 2012-07-09, 14:34   Link #156
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Mars is the question mark. Namely how she will act. I understand her manga, stage, and anime personalities were all quite different.
None can be as different as her Japanese to English dub total shift in personalities. Instead of her just being the "serious mature one" that kind of views Usagi as clueless irresponsible and ditzy (which she is) they just made her outright mean spirited and unlikeable. I remember them actually changing a script in one episode where Usagi is supposed to leave the cresent moon wand to Rei because she felt she'd be the best one to look after it to Serena accidentally leaving the wand there (which makes no sense in context) and Raye berating her for it in front of everyone when initally she was just giving it back. It was really something.

There's plenty of other examples of them changing her dialogue to make her just more of an outright bitch to other characters where initially she was doing nothing of the kind or just giving Usagi a hard time. Those are the days of dubbing for TV anime I really do not miss.

Now that I think of it most of the other characters had some personality shift as well. Mercury is a lot more bashful and meek in the original whereas I remember her being kind of confrontational in the dub, Chibi-Usa is still pretty bratty, but she's a lot more symphathetic in the original whereas "Rini" was just a demon child...in fact the only character that really seems to carry over well is Jupiter. I'm pretty sure it's just because they tried to harden up the cast to appeal more to young males and Jupiter was already pretty masculine so she just kind of stayed the same.