View Single Post
Old 2010-06-28, 05:37   Link #11904
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor A. Knox View Post
Can't it be that the diner is made when the cousins are called or when everyone is present? that would also take some time to make....

Because I'm sure they would like to eat their meal when it's warm, and if they have to wait like 2 hours the food would be cold and I dont think Gohda would put his precious/hard work food in a microwave so it's all warm again
I don't think Gohda would condone this either -- I don't think he believes in using a microwave at all for that matter. But the practical way to do this would be like this:
  • Gohda completes those operations that take a long time -- makes the sauce, prepares the steak for whatever he's doing with it, leaving only the operations that can be completed in under 30 minutes or so.
  • It definitely can't take longer than 10 minutes to go from the guesthouse to the mansion, so once Gohda is done with the pre-preparations, he says it's time to call everyone, giving them a generous margin of being late, finding the right place to sit according to rank, etc. Simultaneously, Gohda starts on the last phases of cooking.
  • By the time everyone is there and have eaten their hours d'oeuvres, it's time to serve soup and it's just done.
I.e. it makes no sense to call people to the table in such a way that they would have to wait an hour at the table, which is what makes the extra wait more dubious.

In Ep1, at 18:00, cousins are hanging out in the guesthouse, and Kanon comes to fetch them. This would be precisely the right time to fetch them if the expected time for the dinner to start would be 18:30. This would also be the perfect moment for Krauss to start banging on the door.

Even assuming that the cousins are late because of being held up by Maria in the garden, they can't be held up for more than half an hour, so the dinner has to start no later than 19:00 -- but then, nobody comments that the cousins are late, there's no reason why Kanon is so early to fetch them, and the text actually feels like they aren't late in the end anyway. This sort of settles the dinner length to one and a half hours, extra half hour for talking about the Beatrice Letter and the cousins running away right before 22:00, which feels about right.

But it still leaves me puzzled at why the time of dinner in such a rigidly regulated, almost Victorian household is not well fixed.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote