View Single Post
Old 2007-07-23, 04:31   Link #46
takumi2k4

Long post ahead, beware. But this is about Lucky Star over-referencing Haruhi that I just finished writing in my blog, and I thought I'd like to share it here as well. They're censored as well.

"...the Haruhi references here are completely massive, and honestly, I really don’t mind it. In fact, I actually love it because it works and makes sense. Look at Hayate no Gotoku’s references to others, they’re barely subtle and some are obscure and that you actually have to take a second look at it just to get it. The only reference that I actually got was when Hayate snuck up in the school looking like Solid Snake and under the cardboard box because I’m a massive fan of MGS.

Meanwhile here, the references work because they’re well-known works. We got Geass-ed a while back by Anime Tenchou, this episode(ep 16) Konata asked Kagami to buy some Lelouch and Code Geass material, last week we got Da Capo, and possibly PangYa a couple of episodes back. I don’t see a problem with the Haruhi reference, because Konata LOVES Haruhi. What would you rather have, Konata loving some unknown character that we don’t know crap about?

Genshiken worked because we actually got glimpses of Kujibiki Unbalance through the show, the OAV’s, and the TV series. Having a relatively unknown character or show in Haruhi’s spot means that they have to go the Genshiken way, and as we all know Clannad and Haruhi Season 2 is almost up, what better way to promote Haruhi?

But here’s the thing, every company exists to pander its fan’s. Take a look at Evangelion. Gainax is still milking Evangelion down right to the core, but no one’s b****ing about it. And they’re just basically the same damn thing. Rebuild is just a rebuild of the series, it’s just the same story with a few tweaks, remade with today’s technology. Meanwhile, Lucky Star is blatantly referencing Haruhi that people start b****ing about it, yet there’s nothing wrong with Gainax milking Evangelion.

S***, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are still running around like they’re the king of games, and they are, yet no one’s tired of them. Only Hideo Kojima is getting tired of his own franchise, but he’s still making it, because of it’s fans. People sent him death threats asking him to continue directing MGS, and he is, and he’s finally ending a series that existed for at least 20 years now. Final Fantasy, I can’t believe it’s in it’s 13th iteration, yet no one’s b****ing about it, in fact, people are screaming like school-girls waiting for 13 and Versus to come out already.

With that said, what’s wrong with Lucky Star blatantly referencing Haruhi? No one’s b****ing about MGS, FF, and Eva being milked to death. So why can’t Lucky Star get a break?"