Thread: Licensed Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-16, 10:42   Link #297
Midonin
Last Engage

End of the World Party 03 - Adroit in a Sea of Nerds

The "Y" stands for "Yumeria", and while Mai may have been narrating, I find myself siding with Yumeria this week. Her attitude towards human culture may not be much, but her attitude towards nerdiness is downright admirable. Sure, it's yaoi, but it could've been anything. Yuri, mecha, magical girl, harem, slice of life, horror, tragedy, comedy, Kumeta, Okada, Akamatsu, Urobuchi or etc. The point is that she brought manga back, brought Comiket back, and raised the flags that their world may in fact be the Japan of the future. Turning delusions into power, that's the skill of a manga creator!

I loved this episode. Sure, it was mocking the manga industry, but they say you can't mock something if you don't love it, and I did sense quite a bit of love here too. That, and a character being voiced by Sawashiro who was interested in old books called to mind Dantalian, which is always a good thing in my book. And while being trapped inside a rough draft might not appear good, I don't see it as something inescapable. The charm of the graphic arts is that anything can happen, if you just imagine it. I'm sure Mai has that spark of imagination somewhere within her.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote