View Single Post
Old 2012-10-30, 18:53   Link #1408
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If a system's recommendations are followed 98% or more of the time, are they still "mere" recommendations? Admittedly, that 98% figure is a hypothetical one, but this narrative is (so far) giving every implication that people typically follow Sibyl's "recommendations".

I think that you, and some others, are downplaying the influence that Sibyl holds over the world of Psycho-Pass.
Yes, it is a mere recommendation...
People don't follow it because the dominator doesn't give them choice, but because they decide to trust dominator recommendation...

I don't downplay Sibyl influence in world of Psycho-Pass, I know how severe it's influence is society (such as hue as the new beauty standard)...
What I don't agree is your statement that the human is forced by Sibyl...

Quote:
Several different choices? No, just two: Shoot to kill, or don't shoot at all. Those are the only choices that Dominator-users seem to have if the gun shifts to lethal mode.

In any event, your speedometer/Dominator analogy is not a good one for the simple reason that a speedometer doesn't strictly limit choices like this.
What choice does a person has with speedometer except keep the speed at red bar or slow down the speed to below the red bar? But this is the last time I will argue about the speedometer...

I see dominator as tool so I treat it as tool: To use it or to not use it. What other option do you have when you use a tool?
Also, there are no pressure directly from dominator itself, allow the human to choose...

Quote:
As for the whole "POOL with oil and lighter and such condition", you're missing my point there. My point is that Paralyzing shot is probably just as effective a means as negating that situational threat as Lethal shot is.

The person who was raped, her psychological state changed, and that is why her Crime Coefficient went up, in my opinion. Not because (or at least not just because) of the whole pool of oil situation.
You are the one that miss my point...
Dominator only see the Target's Threat at that point and change accordingly...
While the CC went up to 110, it only activate the Paralyzer Mode as Masaoka and Akane shown...

Quote:
Yeah, but most good marskmen using a normal hand-gun are usually able to shoot to subdue but not kill (shooting someone in the leg, for example, can do this if it's a good shot).
A good enforcer can calm the target and remove the threat the target may possess, thus re-activate the paralyzer mode just like Akane did in episode 1.
Much more 'humane' than shooting leg and crippling the target...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote