View Single Post
Old 2008-10-30, 09:45   Link #54
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
None of these arguments says much about what ordinary people should be running. I fully expect Microsoft to maintain its control over computing in the home for many years to come. There are obvious benefits to home users in staying within the Windows monoculture because of its familiarity and because, as WK notes, it's really all they know. Businesses have different incentives and different resources, and it's there that I think we'll continue to see the expansion of Linux both in the server room and on the desktop. I'm not expecting these changes to happen quickly though. If Linux achieves a 20% desktop share in businesses a decade from now, that will represent a major achievement.
Seeing how those subnotebooks, or netbook, are exploding on the market at the moment, it is just a matter of time people will jump to alternatives. Obviously OSes like QNX, FreeBSD or OpenSolaris probably won't make it onto people's desktop.

Funny, i always thought that pixar were using solaris for their rendering farms.

So linux is the new Windows, when is the point people need to start hating it? ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote