Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 20:05   Link #845
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hibito would almost certainly have died in the situation depicted. The writers could have used the traditional "saving the hero with just a few seconds left in the countdown" strategy. As cliched as that is, it would have been more realistic in this case.

I'm not a physician, but I would be concerned about the long-term implications for his mental functioning after that much oxygen deprivation. Anyone with medical experience wish to chime in?
The main problem with the human brain in these situations is that it is unable to perform anaerobic respiration, making it highly susceptible to oxygen deprivation. On the other hand, it's fed by 4 major arteries and blood flow to the brain is prioritized in said moments of oxygen deprivation, giving it a little bit of leeway when it happens, but not really by much. One also needs to realize that sudden loss of oxygen intake doesn't immediately cause asphyxiation, like how you can still operate underwater while holding your breath. You still have some oxygen in your bloodstream in these moments.

If I assume that for argument's sake that the average oxygen concentration in Hibito's suit remained more or less constant up until the exact moment that his tank runs out, then he would not suffer oxygen deprivation until the exact moment it does run out, and the body's compensatory mechanisms could still allow him a precious few minutes to operate before asphyxiation sets in and his brain shuts down.

Now if let's say that if as the oxygen in his tank begins to run down the average oxygen concentration in his suit had also began to decrease, then it's possible to consider that he had already began to suffer deprivation even before it ran out. If that's the case then it would have been highly unlikely for him to have made it to Brian because he'd have exhausted his compensation by then.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote