View Single Post
Old 2006-01-17, 12:45   Link #7
anonymous_coward

Many thanks to all for the comments and criticism.

It seems that there's this mentality where if someone studies Japanese for three years he/she can translate well - this is not (always) true. A professional J2E translator can be a good Japanese teacher, but the vise versa is not always true. You need to consider that a translator is a linguist and to a certain extent, an art.

Personally, I don't recommend people to start translating as soon as possible when they feel they're capable of doing it because in my opinion it promotes premature learning (they'll be spending more time translating and be tempted to translate more instead of studying).

As a translator you'll be doing lots of research (depending on the anime series) while translating and you need to wade through the official website, Japanese websites for explanation on the jargons used, etc. - and that requires reasonable proficiency in kanjis and grammar (around JLPT 2 and up).

Granted that each and everyone of us have different learning style and approaches, this guide is just that - a guide and not the silver bullet. And no, just because you self-study your pronunciation will not be bad as long as you study the higarana/katakana properly (you need to take note that pronunciation is way easier in Japanese compared to English).

This guide is still not complete and as someone have mentioned, it lacks reading/listening resources. I'm currently compiling a list of resources and I'll update the guide in a few days when I'm done.
anonymous_coward is offline   Reply With Quote