View Single Post
Old 2009-08-29, 15:00   Link #58
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Hmm, really? Didn't know that. This is what I would call 'villian'(tough this word might be too 'evil'). Eh you don't have another word for 'antagonist' then? Is an important consept in fiction isn't it? Should I call her a 'antagonist in the classical sense'?

Well, then I would say Haruhi was never an antagonist then. Even in Sighs, the problem was not the movie itself. Also, the only complening was Mikuru, Kyon(the protagonist) had nothing against the movie, but against how she treats Asahina.

PP:
In that sense of the word there is very few antagonist. For this wholle season(new+old episodes), the only ones were Ryouko and Koizumi(and his organization, at Lone Island).
You're right. Ryoko is the only true antagonist/villain that this anime has... at least thus far. Well... the Computer Club President is somewhat of an antagonist in Day of Sagittarius.

It's important to remember that a lot of animes don't have antagonists. K-On is completely bereft of them, for example.

For me, a villain is a character that deliberately causes problems and conflict for the protagonist... and is doing so for what most fans (at least) would consider villainous reasons. In Sighs, I would consider Haruhi's motivation for making the movie to be a good one - she wants to make her school's cultural festival better. It's still causing frustration/suffering for the SOS Brigade, though.

Let me give you an example of a character that's an antagonist but not a villain: Fate Testarossa in the original Nanoha anime.

Fate is deliberately causing problems and conflict for Nanoha... but she's doing it to help her mom, and it's not like she wants to hurt Nanoha; it's just that it's impossible for both of them to have all the jewel seeds.

Precia Testarossa is a good example of a villain. She delights in inflicting pain on Fate, after Fate switches to the protagonist side.

I should say, though, Heatth, that this is just my opinion. The terms antagonist and villain can be used very differently from site to site. Some sites are loath to call anybody a villain... other sites throw the term around casually.