View Single Post
Old 2013-09-08, 12:41   Link #626
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
That is kind of the point of themes, to let us know when something starts or ends.
That's one way of looking at it, but if you look at movies, it isn't always the case that the title credits play right at the start -- sometimes they do, sometimes they don't (they particularly don't if the movie has a cold open). And if you look at non-anime TV shows, not all of them even have "opening themes" at all -- sometimes just a very quick title call, and they're usually after the teaser (which could be 5 or more minutes long). They do serve a purpose and send signals to the viewer, but I appreciate a director who knows how to bend/break the rules when it adds extra impact -- in other words, when they treat the credits like a part of the show, and not just obligatory bookends.

Of course, it's just a preference either way.

(I can tell you another thing I like that you may hate for a similar reason: when the episode title is shown at the end of an episode as a sum-up, instead of at the beginning as a precursor/identifier. If it's done properly, it can make the title that much more meaningful.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Also some stories has spoiler type material in the openning theme animation and the directors want to sae it an episode or two until whatever it is is shown, then show the OP as normal.
Yeah, this is true -- particularly if the show has a particular "hook" that doesn't get revealed until a little ways into it. The most famous example of this that I could think of would be Kimi ga Nozomu Eien; there's an extremely good reason why the OP animation didn't start until Episode 3. But there are a ton of other examples too, of course.