View Single Post
Old 2012-06-22, 18:46   Link #6308
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Circular? Hardly. Page 3 has a semi-decent view of the handgrip. It's just curved. Now the handguard is almost circular, yes, but that's not a bad thing, given that it's located on the blade side, which is the common placement for handguards that cover the hand anyway. Always shielding the place on your grip where your fingers are. The blade looks bulky on most pages, but it's often perspective talking. Blade first, Signum second means the blade will be drawn larger. That's why I want a Force Next before judging scale, because the pics are squinting galore.

You are going to have to explain to me what you see as "proper fencing," because there are millions of varieties in swordplay, and the term "fencing" is used most often to refer to this kind which Signum has never ever done.

I don't see much agility in the way Signum wields laevateine either (it's always "RAWR! SMASH!" until she goes slangenform, which itself is a retarded weapon working only because of Rule of Cool). In fact, I'd say that this fight is far more agile than anything we've seen signum do so far. Double-blocking, repeated multi-weapon use, and following the sword traces rather than the static images, very agile swordsplay.

And buckler breaking is no surprise. Bucklers aren't tower shields, they excel in defending against light blades, and will break under the stress of heavy blows. The purpose of a buckler in those cases is to make sure said blow doesn't kill the user and create openings (by deflecting blows, shielding the sword hand, pinning the enemy, etc.) which the buckler succeeded at to the point of creating an opening for Signum to strike. Exactly as design intended, really.

You say "Signum is a knight" as if it justifies your personal analysis of her fighting style, but if we get critical, she's always been a terrible knight. Even in A's. This is not the fault of the character, but the fault of the animators not knowing what a knight entails and just defaulting to standard samurai knowledge. She wields a one-handed weapon without side-arm. Uses only slashing attacks despite her weapon having solid piercing options even without slangenform (indeed, due to the evolution of western armor, western weapons became specialized in stabbing). She uses two hands to fight with her one-hander, despite solo-one handing benefiting more from... well... using one hand and positioning your body so you receive minimal retaliatory blows.

The way Signum wields laevateine is how the average movie samurai fights. If anything, by fighting style alone Signum is a samurai. Not a knight.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-06-22 at 19:14.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote