View Single Post
Old 2008-04-26, 00:10   Link #106
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
Maybe it's because of the subs, or it's because of it being another culture, but I really couldn't take seriously the conflict between the two groups. Setting up armed forces, even essentially the equivalent of SWAT teams to protect against censorship? Where it's local gov't versus nationwide gov't? That's just absurd for me, and for a show that looks like they're trying to be serious, that's a negative in my book.
Other than the fact that information is much more difficult to restrict today (thanks to the Internet), the premise isn't as far fetched as you may think. The Media Improvement Brigade was probably just one step away from burning objectionable books, had the Library Protection Act not been created. As for why the hostility had escalated into a full-scale war, you'll get some background in the following episodes, especially in Ep3. Suffice to say there was no turning back once the conflict created its first matyrs.

That, and of course, which real-life librarian wouldn't love to carry guns in the defence of books? We all have our pet fantasies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir
I definitely had issues with episode 3. What are they shooting, rubber bullets? No one ever seems to get hit, despite the millions of bullets being fired. How ludicrous was that. This is a military organization?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijin
Does anyone know the two groups that have subbed this so far. Are they good? I've seen releases from Euthanasia and TSHNN. I've never heard of them, so I was just wondering?
The Subber Has No Name (TSHNN), rofl. It's not surprising you've not heard of them before. I reckon a few people volunteered their time since none of the major fansubbing groups seem interested in this show. I haven't seen Euthanasia's sub yet (woohoo, now there's two!), so I can't compare the quality, but nonetheless, I'll like to thank both groups heartily for making the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi
Can't say as I'm fond of the drill sergeant mostly from the bathroom scene...She had it well in hand then he bursts in behind distracting then charging her completely throwing her off balance and it becomes her fault, thus slap worthy, that the situation got out of hand? I guess theres something to be said about not becoming distracted during an arrest, but when your the source of the distraction I think that kinda negates your right to get preachy and strike someone...
On the contrary, I think Dojo was completely justified in striking Kasahara. It's called tough love. Kasahara wasn't taking her duties seriously and treated it like some kind of game, which is what pisses Dojo. He's being a lot harder on her because he has noticed her potential and is therefore trying to push her in the right direction. All in all, I agree with Shibasaki's assessment - Dojo is actually a fine example of an officer and a gentleman.

On a sidenote, I was amused that Dojo preferred to eat at the NCO canteen rather than the officers' mess. I'm also a lietuenant in my country's armed forces, and I can well understand how uncomfortable it is to sit with senior officers (majors and above). Most of the time, we have nothing in common, but I'm forced to engage in small talk out of politeness and deference to their higher ranks. I'll rather sit with the men, but that would not be proper etiquette for an officer. Being in command can often be a lonely business.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote